1. Getting ready to apply
You can apply to study a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) at any time during the year.
Consideration of your application can take time, so allow a minimum of 25 working days between submitting your application and the start of your requested semester. Research studies generally commence at the start of Semester 1 and 2 (see important dates). Prior to applying, you should:
- clarify your research thesis topic
- confirm you meet the entry requirements of your preferred degree
- find a research supervisor
- browse and identify the perfect research scholarship for you (please note research scholarships are not all year round).
2. Find and connect with your supervisor
Now it’s time to find and connect with your potential supervisor. Email them to introduce yourself, including a short outline (approximately 500 words) of your intended research project.
Finally, be sure to provide a draft Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal (DOC 78KB) when you contact your proposed supervisor. The proposed supervisor may ask for additional information to support your application.
3. Complete your application form
Once you have found your proposed supervisor, you will need to submit the relevant application.
- Higher Degree by Research Application - Australian, New Zealand Citizens and Permanent Residents.
- International Student Higher Degree by Research Application
Make sure you include the Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal (DOC 78KB) along with the following supporting documents:
- Certified copies of Bachelors, Honours or Masters academic transcripts (with grading information) and award certificates. For Masters level programs, high school transcripts and certificates should also be included.
- A certified copy of your birth certificate or relevant pages of your passport.
- Certified evidence of English language proficiency, as outlined in the English Language Proficiency Requirements Schedule.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV).
- Any other supporting documentation outlined in your chosen degrees entry requirements.